Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Earthquakes and Typhoons

This is from Scott's mom, Kelly...

In the early hours on Sunday, Oct. 4, an earthquake of 6.3 magnitude occurred in the ocean just 14 miles off the east coast of Taiwan, where Scott is living. See below what he says about that. Meanwhile, the latest typhoon has passed Taiwan and they are currently enjoying some nice weather.

Now - from Scott:

October 7, 2009
So I'm down in the middle of Taiwan to the East, in a small town called Yuli. I can bike from one side to the other in about 10 minutes, but that's not only my mission boundries. We have about 4 other districts with lots of tiny small towns that we can't even get to. But here in Yuli, my companion, Elder Youd, and I's job is to build up the branch. We have about 12-14 that come every week, and that's a lot more than there used to be. So we're both working on activating lots of the members again and showing them why church is so important. At the same time, we're still looking for people to teach and actually had really good success so far. There's been a typhoon in the area south of us for a while, so we've been getting the wind and rain from that. Oh and that's one thing really funny about Taiwanese people. Taiwanese people really don't like rain and its an acceptable excuse not to go to school, work, or meet with people because its raining.

It's really fun here, but pretty hard work. Especially when I can't really speak Chinese still. I try and struggle though so it's going good. The Taiwanese people here are really nice, humble, and just great people.

Oh, and I actually slept through my first 5.3 or so magnitude earthquake. My companion in the morning said it was going on for about 25-30 seconds, and while he was on the floor for cover, I was just sleep talking away to him... Haha, I found it kind of funny. I remembered having a dream about an earthquake, but don't remember actually being in one.

I'm doing great here and just wanted to say hi to all of you and that things are going great!

No comments:

Post a Comment