Friday, November 6, 2009

November 4, 2009

Notes from Scott's Mom: Elder Watson is in the Asia Area Presidency (one of the main church leaders in Asia). In a letter this week, Arvid referred to John 14, thus the comment on that.


Elder Watson's conference was yesterday and it was amazing! He gave us advice by giving us his Top 15 Tips to become an even more successful missionary. The Top 2 of those were "Writing to your family weekly" and "Shining your shoes Daily". I know I'm on the Lord's errand, so I'll work harder on representing him. I'll be a better example, and I'll work hard to help bring salvation to people. I'll be more mature and overall just represent the Lord better. Elder Watson then gave us personal interviews, and one of the best things I've learned from that is about the Atonement. There's a promise in Preach my Gospel that says that the more you understand the atonement, the more you want to help others, or something about that. Also, my patriarchal blessing told me that I should desire for a greater testimony and knowledge of the Atonement. Elder Watson told me that I shouldn't be focusing on reading all I can about the Atonement right now, but just reading Preach my Gospel's Atonement part, and then imagining myself in Gethsemane and then just thinking about the pain the Savior has to bear on my behalf. It's something I'm really going to have to work on.

I'll definitly have to read John 14! I think the scriptures and Preach my Gospel are awesome things to read now. Thanks for that!

Sooo... Some really cool things have happened this week that we really believe were divine intervention. We were in an area called Ruisui, and Elder Youd had something fly into his eye. He stopped and we decided to go back to a bathroom to get it out of his eyes. On the way back... we ran into a Former Investigator! She had 3 Baptismial dates set, but she held herself back because of the word of wisdom. We're going to try to meet with her later. But one thing Elder Youd and I are convinced... Heavenly Father sent that thing into Elder Youd's eye, so we would have to go talk to her. We also found another guy like that the next day. It was perfect timing, and it was awesome to see how the Lord puts people in missionaries' paths.

OH YEAH! This week is the end of the 1st Transfer. So now, I have 14 more Transfers. My next Preparation day is monday, so I thought I should let you know that. I still don't know if I'll be transferred or what will happen, so I'll tell you Monday.

Also, when Elder Watson came, I had a CD burned with all my pictures on it, and... I'll repent, but one of them is me biking without my handlebars. I know that's not a smart thing to do, so I'm repenting and just wanted to say sorry ahead of time.

I'm so glad to do the Lord's work. The moments I'm happiest on my mission is when I'm biking to a lesson, singing hymns, knowing I'm a missionary and I'm hopefully doing good for the people here in Taiwan. It's awesome here. This really is the Lord's work. The Holy Ghost WILL guide us if we pray for him. If we have faith that he'll guide us and show us where to go, he will. I have a firm testimony of that even thus far on my mission. I love it here in Taiwan! But I want you two to know I love you and miss you both. I hope you all stay safe while I'm gone (and hopefully after when I get off my mission). I'll pray for you both daily.

Love,
Elder Carlson

No comments:

Post a Comment