Monday, April 12, 2010

Feb. 22, 2010

Yeah, Gmail is all great now, I had to help some other district members get theirs all ready too, so now I can finally write back!! It's pretty fast and really convenient, so I'm really glad they did this. I heard some rumors that they were releasing this for missionaries and I got pretty excited. I'll be able to send more pictures through this too!

Yeah, things are much better with companions and alot of it was just people in the District, but that's doing much better now. Just this GuoNian time was pretty rough. We were meeting with members every day, and didn't do much missionary work because everyone goes south. Every meal we went to, we spent about 3 hours there talking and eating. One morning I weighed myself and I was 65 kg, I came home that night as 70 kg. Haha... about 11 pounds of food by the end of the day. But that's guonian. Also, this week is going to be more slow as we're going to be packing up all the junk in the apartment to move over to the other one. My companion said it takes about 2-3 days to do it all, plus all the other meetings we have during the week... Yeah, our week is about filled up then. We find it kinda funny that we have so many meetings about how to do missionary work. We have 2.5 hours of study in the morning, and once a week we have 2 hours of District Meeting, then we have Zone Conference about 2 times a transfer, which is an all day thing... etc. I don't know how many hours of meetings we have, but it's a fairly huge amount.

Hmm... this is a funny thought I never thought I'd have. I'm sitting next to this guy who's playing a game where he makes this guy dance by pressing arrow keys. I never thought that I'd think "wow... he's wasting his life with video games, when he could be outside running or biking, or hanging out with friends". Like, I think video games are ok, but some of them are just completely pointless, and just a huge waste of money and time. That thought was kinda random, but yeah. I'd rather be doing something outside or with friends than that game.

(I'm paraphrasing some of what Scott directed at me - his mom - regarding my early morning seminary class.) I remember being a student there and I'd listen and watch the teacher, but I like other students was pretty tired. One thing we're taught as missionaries, is that to keep people's attention up, is ask questions. People will easily zone out or even fall asleep unless they participate in some way. Something that Sterling sent to me a while ago in the MTC. He said "Remember that Ammon and his brothers were told to be patient in their afflictions before they experienced any success." And I'd say that applies to us where ever we're serving in the Church. It's hard, but keep your vision and purpose of why you're serving on your mind. I was glad Sister Wade taught us as well as my other teachers, like you in South Africa. =) From what I've found, what people are responsive to is personal stories and experiences, as well as asking them about what they think and about things in their lives.

(Directed at Arvid, serving as the District President.) It's crazy to see that as the world gets more wicked, the more effect and temptations it places on the members. I can't even imagine what it'd be like for Dad to always hold those disiplinary councils. I really hope things get worked out. He really is a busy man and I know there's lots of pressures on you and him right now. I really hope these experiences keeps you and him even closer together and closer to the Savior. That's one thing I've heard about quite a few times about marriage and how trials are really good experiences to grow closer together, no matter how hard it is. I'm excited to be able grow close to someone like that... but as for now, I'm a missionary haha... I've got a few years down the road for that.

Anyways, thanks for being an awesome Mom. And thanks so much for writing every week. Missionaries really appreciate that. I hope I can write Ryan every week and just make his mission happier that way. But thanks for yours and Dad's examples as parents and thanks for this experience to be on a mission. =)


Anyways, thanks for being an awesome Mom. And thanks so much for writing every week. Missionaries really appreciate that. I hope I can write Ryan every week and just make his mission happier that way. But thanks for yours and Dad's examples as parents and thanks for this experience to be on a mission. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment