Tuesday, July 13, 2010

May 9, 2010

Wow, so Ryan leaving to college, you and Dad getting released, moving to another country, seminary, etc... You all are really going to have a lot of spare time. Haha, it'll be a good opportunity for you all to catch up on things and get to tour around Hong Kong one last time.

… when I get off my mission, I'll make it a point to call every sunday night and more. Truthfully, that's one thing I missed when I left on my mission. Just getting to talk to my mom about things in life and seeing how Hong Kong is doing. So, I'll do that for sure!

Oh, I never told you this did I? I'm sending this to both you and Dad to read this part. Elder D. Todd Christofferson came to our mission last week. It was really cool. The cool part that I liked was shaking his hand. It was firm but gentle at the same time. It made me think of what shaking Christ's hands would be like. After reading alot of Jesus the Christ, the whole image I had of Jesus changed. He's more of a bold, righteous, perfect figure than I ever thought. He's loving though harshly rebuking. When I shook Elder Christofferson's hand, it felt like I was shaking the Savior's hand.

Elder Christofferson also said something that confirmed a thought I had in my head these past weeks. Elder Chen is a good missionary, but gets way too stressed about making goals and getting enough 'numbers' for the week. Sometimes it makes me think he cares about numbers too much. Elder Christofferson talked about it, saying: "When it comes to numbers, we don't care." It was a good rebuke/reminder to the mission of our MISSION here in Taiwan. Are we just getting points so when we're done with our missions we can compare, or are we working for the salvation of Heavenly children? It's one thing Elder Chen and I are trying to work on. Numbers help us have a better vision for the area, but we need to remember that charity we're trying to develop to actually bring people to Christ.

The other thing I learned this week is the importance of the Spirit. As I said on the phone, we have some language barriers, and because of them, we say stuff that we didn't mean. Because of that, we got in some arguments, and the spirit was completely lost. That whole day, we only got to talk to about 2-3 people on the streets. Then on Sunday, we finally talked about the conflict and got it resolved. Right after that, we knocked 2 doors. The first one set up another time next week to meet, and the next door let us in to teach a lesson. It was amazing how much difference the Spirit makes.

Hey, thanks for the scriptures! That was sweet. Thanks for always praying for me. I feel so much more helped that I've ever felt in my life. I'm sure yours and Dad's prayers help me daily. This mission is so life changing and awesome. Not like Awesome, DUDE!... But just really puts me in awe, for how much I have changed for the better. I feel so much prepared to take on life. I'm almost a year out, but I feel so much more prepared for life in serving the church, raising a family, etc. It's just so neat. You'll probably understand when you and Dad go on a mission. Maybe Dad might even be mission president some day...

As for Charity, it's something that I need to work on too. It seems like everytime I pray to develop a Christlike Attribute, Heavenly father sends a trial to test me and let me practice... it's hard, but I'm learning.

Anyways, missionary work is going great! Elder Chen and I work really hard everyday. I haven't worked this hard since... Hmm.. maybe ever? Haha... It's really good prep for when I become senior though. I feel like I'm getting close to King Benjamin who "by laboring with all the might of his body and the faculty of his whole soul"(W of M 1:18) to do the Lord's work.

I just want to say that it was great to talk to you yesterday and good to know you all are doing so well. I hope you had a great mother's day and Dad and Ryan treated you really well. Thanks for everything you do for me! I know this is the Lord's work and his Spirit is real. It will guide us in our efforts everyday as long as we stay worthy and "ask, seek, and knock".

No comments:

Post a Comment