Saturday, April 16, 2011

Zone Conference Talk

So yesterday, I used my personal study time to write my talk for Zone Conference this Wednesday. It was on forgiveness and why it's so important. Basically, the topic was "What Christ-like attributes my companion has?". So I wrote this... Just thought you both might enjoy it.

When leaving the apartment one day, Elder Swenson and I were talking a bit about Christ and other things. Elder Swenson told me that he learned a lot about forgiveness in Seminary. He said than in a way, it's something he fears. He shared part of a scripture, that brought more scriptures to mind.

"Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin".

In congruence with the law to love our neighbors as ourself is this law to forgive ALL trespasses. In college I watched a movie about a father and his kidnapped daughter sold into a European human trafficking market. The father, in love of his daughter and anger, killed almost everyone in connection with the kidnapping. After watching the movie, a few questions hit my mind. What would I do? Would I do the same? What would be the right thing to do? Overall, What would Jesus do?

Again, another scripture my mom helped me memorize came to mind. "I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men". In the admission gate to the kingdom of Heaven, there is no fence jumping or sneaking sin in, as Christ knows all, and all must abide the requirements set for entrance into the rest of the Lord. A Christ-like attribute I believe my companion to have is forgiveness. Forgiveness, in most cases, requires charity, and as we all know, "whoso is found possessed of [charity] at the last day, it shall be well with him". As missionaries, we run into "placed pidgeons", rude and possibly hostile people on the street, and let downs. I bear testimony that forgiveness is a Christ-like attribute that all people must learn to develop. Through it, we can find peace in our families and lives. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment